Sunday, 21 September 2014

An ethical opportunity for you all!

Exciting (and late notice) news for you all: I have an opportunity for you to do some ethical shopping! I knew you'd be excited by this; I am at least.

Tomorrow evening (Monday) I am sharing some of my gap year experiences and you are all invited! It's at Thornbury Baptist Church at 7.15pm in the Youth Block/ Upper Lounge. As much as I want to tell you some of what the ten months I spent away from home entailed, I'm also giving you an opportunity to get involved in two of the projects that I love deeply.

We've been away on holiday this week in Cornwall and got home Friday evening. In typical delivery style, my package full of Sak Saum beauties was delivered Friday morning. Fear not, as it is now here and ready for you to buy tomorrow evening. Sak Saum is based in Cambodia and do such wonderful work with local men and women, giving them hope, skills and a future. These products (bags, purses, hair accessories, scarves and the like) are a way for them to achieve those things, giving them dignity and freedom. I am so very excited to be able to show off these beautiful things to you and for you to be able to spread the news further through your purchases. Here's a taster:



The other ethical delight available tomorrow comes from Uganda, from the Acholi Quarters where I spent a couple of months this spring. Many of the women there now make paper beads as a safer means of income than breaking rocks in the quarries, and these beads make gorgeous products! I don't want to give it all away now or I'll bore you if you come along tomorrow, but they are all made from reclaimed, re-used paper and it's a brilliant example of restoration of the unwanted. Another sneak peak for you:



I really hope you can make it tomorrow: 7.15pm (for a 7.30pm start) at Thornbury Baptist Church. Let me know if you need directions, or if you can't make it but are interested in these products. It would be lovely to see you there. And, if none of this is tempting enough, there will be home-made and Indian-made Indian delicacies!

No comments:

Post a Comment