Saturday, 10 May 2014

One week in the land of a thousand hills

Last week I was in Rwanda and it was seven days of much needed rest. It was about time I had some time outside of Uganda and, yet again, mum's contacts came in handy. I had no idea what to expect from the week as I'd been very African in organising it (i.e. vague with details) but I'd heard so much about this place from Mum and Rozzie that I was excited to see it, be in a new place and breath new air.


By bus, the journey takes 11 hours and it is the most beautiful journey! I could happily make that drive every week just for the incredible surroundings. 90% of the journey is through rural country and so the whole way has views like this. I wish I had taken a load more photos, but public buses where you are the only tourist isn't the most comfortable photography setting! The Rwandan part of the journey is much shorter than the chunk in Uganda, and is full of patchwork lime green paddy fields in the valley with terraced hills on each side and red dirt tracks cutting them up, contrasting with all the greenery. In Uganda, the hills are more rolling and rustic. It is idyllic! If you ever are in east Africa, please make this journey.



I was staying with a CRED partner, Pius, and his family in their home in Kigali, the capital of this small country. Pius is an amazing man who manages to balance being a father to three kids and a husband, with working constantly on various different projects. He was very busy the week I was there, which was fine with me as I hung out at his house a lot getting to rest up after the last two months and process all God has been doing in my life. I also got to see a fraction of his work, which includes somehow being involved with a catch-up education school for ex street children, all 226 of whom are still in vulnerable situations. The CRED team were here for a week last in July, so I got l see where mum and Rozzie had been and loved, which was great. Thankfully I didn't have to teach! The structured school setting actually intimidated me a little after the last weeks of chaos I've had. 


The school is doing a great job with very limited resources and provide primary education, as well as vocational skills, for those who otherwise wouldn't get any education. 


Kigali is worlds away from Kampala, especially the Acholi Quarters! I actually struggled with culture shock in the few days I was there (who knows how I will be coming home if I was that affected by Africa). In fairness, Kigali is very developed and growing quickly. It's clean, organised, well structured, full of huge houses, landscaped and feels a lot more like a capital city than Kampala does. There was barely any trace of poor people as far as I could see (I didn't see much of the city, but drove around most of it) which made me uncomfortable.


This year is the 20 year anniversary of the '94 genocide. Sadly, I didn't get to learn much about the history of the country until the journey home. Pius had lent me a book which included a brief account of the genocide and his incredible story of forgiveness. 


The week was just what I needed, and I really hope I will be back in Rwanda in the future. 

So now I'm back in Uganda and am about to embark of my next chapter of African life... rural life. On Monday I will be moving out of Kampala to a rural village an hours drive outside of the city. It won't be fully permanent as I expect I will be coming back to John and Sophie's a few times as this really feels like home, but the majority of my time will be living out in the green peace and quiet of Maya! A Korean missionary has a children's home where I will be staying, as well as teaching some of the kids every joe and then. There are 17 'children' (many of who are almost my age) and it's a little daunting but I'm excited for a quiet, simple life too. John is starting a general clinic out in the village where I will spend lots of time during the days helping set up systems, doing health posters and whatever else I can do to help make the opening weeks successful. So, that's my next seven weeks at least, until Kenya! I have no idea if I will be able to pick up 3G out there; if I can't, I will be very quiet for the next few weeks. Go with the 'no news is good news' stance for now and we will see how things pan out.

No comments:

Post a Comment