I should mention however that we did have a bonfire last weekend again (you may have worked out by now that we have some fire-lovers here so any excuse gives rise to some form of flames) because it was my fellow Brit's birthday. We celebrated with fire, songs around the fire, marshmallows in the fire and then inside crackers (s'mores!), brownies, dancing and lots of lovely merriment. Happy birthday again Lia!
Saturday was very exciting day as a group of us finally did the famous (at least in the vicinity) hike we have been wanting to do since about our third week living here. We set out just after 7am and walked for an hour before taking a breakfast break where we were filled with bread, egg and apple. The surroundings got more and more stunning the further we went into the mountains and I got more and more excited about all the beautiful rocks! Please can I have a geography field trip back here? Look at these beauties...
That is a nice boulder!
Even if you aren't a geography nut (as some refer to me as) you must admit these are pretty jazzy compared to a standard pebble.
We all had lots of fun hiking up. Thankfully it wasn't as hard as I had been led to expect so I could thoroughly enjoy all surroundings. We saw snow on distant mountains on the way up, but it got closer and closer until we were walking about 100m from some small remnants. I went off-piste to hold Himalayan snow (when else am I going to the able to throw a snowball in India?) and one of the guys came to join me. He has never touched snow in his life and has only seen it on TV. I was so privileged to be there when he picked it up, see his grin and hear his delight! It was beautiful. All of the South Indians touched snow that day, and had so much fun in the process!
At the top we took way too many photos of the stunning view and were generally amused wandering around barefoot and climbing on all the boulders.
After about three hours at the summit we headed down. We all spread out and ambled at our own pace (or ran if you were Kris, Erik or Ark). I reckon we were out for about 10 hours altogether; we weren't hiking for the whole time though. It was a wonderful day, I'm really grateful that I was able to see some more of the incredible scenery and have a lovely day with my family here. I often find myself marvelling that I'm living in such a beautiful place, it feels like a dream!
We cooked for about five hours and had great fun in the process. Only British music was allowed to continue the theme, so we enjoyed Mumford and Sons, Rend Collective, Ed Sheeran and Passenger whilst hopping copious amounts of veg and rolling lots of pastry. Our starter was a carrot and coriander soup, followed by Cornish pasties (our often pathetic oven did us proud) with an onion chutney and stir fried veg and we rounded things off with Welsh cakes. Yum! It just so happened that som of the girls watched 'The Sound of Music' after dinner which finished a long day just nicely, although I was too tired to see the end.
Yesterday was an unusual day because our normal weekly schedule has been changed and so we did a deep clean. I thought this was quite ironic as I used to have to do deep cleans at work, but this was completely Indian style and went on and on and on. I was part of the kitchen team which pulled everything out, scrubbed walls and windows and surfaces, cleaned every utensil and then rearranged our system before bringing everything back in. It was very satisfying, but very long. I think we did about 8 hours with only a 20 minuted lunch break, so I was very ready to sit down after. But we should now not have to worry about mouse poo contaminating anything anymore.
So there you go, an account of my last three days in India. I will leave you with just one of the beautiful sunsets we keep being blessed with.








No comments:
Post a Comment